Friday, November 04, 2005

A few years ago, I was ill. It was difficult to shop but nearly impossible to cook. So I hesitantly ventured into the frozen food aisles of my local grocery store, seeking ready-made meals that I could have handy in my freezer.

I had no idea what to choose or how to choose it. Thousands of entrees and meals confronted me and I had absolutely no clue what to buy. Having heard good things about Boston Marketâ„¢ restaurants, I grabbed two items from that line: a chicken-and-noodle dinner and a side dish of macaroni and cheese.

I thought the chicken-and-noodle dinner would be safe - how bad could it be? And of course, the picture on the box looked great! After all, isn't that how we all basically choose these foods? We've either had it before and it was "okay" or we buy the image on the outside of the box. (More thoughts on food photography as a form of hypnosis or Black Magic some other time).

How bad could it be? The answer is: oh, really, really bad.

What I thought would be somewhat bland comfort food was so tasteless, it was inedible. I literally threw it out after a few bites. (By the way...for the chicken-y comfort food my mouth was wanting, see Banquet Crock Pot Classics Creamy Chicken with Pasta Dinner).
A few nights later I prepared the mac and cheese as a side dish - and it was also ghastly. If there had ever been cheese in that dish, it had long since disappeared into the Witness Protection Program.

And so the idea for the Icebox Diner was born: a place where everyone could share their experiences with frozen meals, telling each other what we like and what we don't like; what is great low-carb food and what's dreadful; what really is low-fat and what isn't. A place to warn other folks not to try that Brand X Yak-Meat Dinner or to share with other Diners that the Bertolli dinners-in-a-bag are actually great. Tell us how much you paid, so we can see what company gives you the most bang for your buck.

Again, welcome. We are really happy to have you join us. Take a counter seat or a booth. Contribute your reviews of frozen snacks, entrees and dinners - even desserts. Add products that we don't have yet.

Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Grace's Kitchen meals? www.graceskitchen.com The meals are all-natural, organic ingredients, have lots of flavor - not the like the usual drek out there that's full of salt and preservatives. The stuff has changed my thinking about what frozen food can be.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Auntie's Food Life said...

Hey, Anonymous:

Thanks for the tip! I checked out their website, and their food looks GREAT; I'll pass this along to my friends at the Icebox Diner (see link on this blogspace). You know, you can add the Grace's Kitchen Meals to the Icebox Diner's product database and share your reviews of their meals and desserts with other folks looking for high-quality frozen meals and prepared dinners. THANKS - Auntie

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home